Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Memes

I had a request from a reader to explain what a meme was on my blog. Well, she was more like someone who was too lazy to look it up on her own time.

The definition of a meme (I got it off the internet XD) is: "An image, video, etc. that is passed electronically from one Internet user to another." It's kinda like that, but most often, the image/video is "funny" in a way. Like with Chuck Testa, who made a commercial for his taxidermizing company that became popular among the internet community. His commercial included him with taxidermized lifelike animals that look like they're still alive, but then he says "NOPE. Just Chuck Testa". Here's the video: 

That is an example of a meme that came from a video. A large percentage of memes originated from a video like that. There are also memes involving just people who have certain facial expressions in a certain picture. A fictional character name Fry from Futurama is a good example. The meme is a specific picture of Fry:

And they caption it with "Can't tell of X, or just Y". A popular example would show an incredibly stupid question on Facebook or Yahoo Answers and then the picture of Fry with the caption saying "Can't tell if trolling, or just stupid. (There are also versions with "Not sure" instead of "Can't tell".) 
There have also been other memes originating in Futurama, such as the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" and "Why not Zoidberg?"
Other memes may come from movies like inception.
There is also another concept involving ragefaces. These ragefaces are shown as a reaction, like the me gusta face to something that if very popular (Like ponies :3)
Here is an example with "Forever Alone"

I'm not the best at explaining things through words... If you want to see more or learn more, go to memebase.com. It's were I get my meme fix. And mylittlebrony.com is where I get my ponies :D



No comments:

Post a Comment